Friday, April 16, 2010

An Apology To My Son

Look around you, son. There is wealth and luxury in abundance; and, none for us. I have nothing to give to you, but words on paper. Some people are arbitrarily chosen to be successful. They are, in effect, princes. Then, there are the losers. They are the peons of this world. The biggest losers are the ones, like me, who never realized their position in life until it was too late. We continue to grind out a meager living, hopeful of a reward that is never forthcoming. We delude ourselves with visions of a better life; but, our visions never materialize and remain ghosts. The princes lie to us with impunity to achieve success. We watch helplessly as our dreams repeatedly crumble right before our somber eyes. We smile graciously and convince ourselves that our turn will soon come; but it never does. We blind ourselves with hope; the hope of success, but success is just an illusion. Hapiness is fleeting. It too is illusory.

Nothing comes easy for us peons. The simplest tasks become difficult chores. No door is already opened for us. No obstacle is removed. Good fortune is inaccessible to us. Our successes are small and insignificant to everyone, but us. Fate has chosen our miserable path. There is nothing we can do to alter the course of our future.

I may have unwittingly condemned you to such a life of misery and heartbreak, my son. I would right this wrong for you if I could, but I am helpless; and helplessness is the cruelest feeling in the world, especially when you cannot help someone you love. All I have left are wishes and each wish I have is for you to become a prince. I wish that with all of my heart.

I am truly sorry that I am nothing more than a peon. I hope you will forgive me and know that I love you more than anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment